Arseniy Morozov Mansion on Vozdvizhenka Street was built in the late 19th century for a member of the Morozovs family, one of the wealthiest in Russia. It was conceived as a neo-Moorish palace, but turned out to become an over-elaborated eclectic building. One of Leo Tolstoy’s characters in Resurrection novel calls the mansion “a silly and useless palace for a silly and useless person.” That said, the mansion built in late 19th century remains one of major Moscow’s landmarks. Now it is a reception house where the Russian government holds official events.
16 Vozdvizhenka Street. Metro Arbatskaya (line 3, navy blue or line 4, light blue.)
Ryabushinsky Mansion is an early-modern building with elements of English Gothic, Moorish and other architectural styles. It was built in early 20th century for Pavel Ryabushinsky, a deeply religious entrepreneur and liberal politician who emigrated to France after the Bolshevik Revolution in 1917. In 1932, the Soviet government donated the house to Maxim Gorky, a “proletarian” writer and a five-time nominee for the Nobel Prize. Now the mansion houses the writer’s museum.
6 Malaya Nikitskaya Street. Metro Arbatskaya (line 3, navy blue or line 4, light blue.)
Mosselprom building is a good example of Russian constructivism and avant-garde architecture. Mosselprom stands for Moscow Rural Cooperative Administration, and the building initially conceived as an apartment house was used as a storehouse for some time after the revolution of 1917. Now the building houses a branch of the Russian Academy of Theatre Arts.
2/10 Kalashny Pereulok. Metro Arbatskaya (line 3, navy blue or line 4, light blue.)
Pertsov Mansion is a tenement house built in early 20th century by Sergey Malutin also known as the author of the first Matryoshka doll. Leon Trotsky, a prominent revolutionary, lived in this house.
1 Kursovoy Pereulok. Metro Kropotkinskaya (line 1, red.)
The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour is the tallest Orthodox church in the world. Construction of the original church was completed in 1883. In 1937, the Bolsheviks demolished the cathedral and planned to build a colossal Palace of the Soviets to house the parliament and manifest the country's might. The palace was never built, and for some time a swimming pool occupied the space. The current cathedral was erected in 1995–2000. Viewing terraces of the cathedral offer impressive but limited glimpses of the central Moscow.
15 Volkhonka Street. Metro Kropotkinskaya (line 1, red.)
The Tea Store in Myasnitskaya Street is possibly the only building in Moscow with Chinese architectural tunes. The owner ordered the design in hope that an influential Chinese diplomat and tea exporter who visited Moscow at the time would notice his store, but in vain. Nevertheless, since late 19th century, the store continuously sells fine teas and pleases the eyes of passers-by.
19 Myasnitskaya Street. Metro Chistyye Prudy (line 1, red) or Turgenevskaya (line 6, orange.)