For information on visiting the Kremlin museums see our Historical museums section.
Construction of the Kremlin in its present appearance was completed in 1495.
The Spasskaya (Saviour) Tower facing Red Square is the second tallest and, possibly, the most impressive of the Kremlin’s 20 towers. The chimes of the tower clock alternatively play an excerpt from the national anthem and a melody from A Life for the Tsar opera.
Through Kutafiya Tower and Troitskaya Tower, visitors enter the Kremlin grounds. For the best view of them, go to Alexandrovsky Garden. Metro Alexandrovsky Sad (line 4, light blue, Biblioteka Imeni Lenina (line 1, red), Borovitskaya (line 9, grey.)
In 1560, construction of St. Basil's Cathedral on Red Square was completed. This sumptuous building is also known as the Cathedral of Vasily the Blessed or as the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat. A legend says that Ivan the Terrible ordered to put the architects’ eyes out, so they could never reproduce such beauty. The building’s shape symbolises bonfire rising into the sky. Some malicious tongues name it “a drunk pastry cook’s fantasy,” nevertheless, the cathedral remains a main postcard attraction of Moscow. For information on visiting the cathedral, see our Museums section.
2 Red Square. Metro Okhotny Ryad (line 1, red,) Teatralnaya (line 2, green) or Ploshchad Revolyutsii (line 3, navy blue.)
Palace of the Facets (Granovitaya Palata) in the Kremlin is the oldest preserved secular building in Moscow built in 1487-1491 as the tsars’ ceremonial venue and the assembly hall where the Council of Boyars – a prototype of the parliament – held its meetings.
The Old English Court in Zaryadye Park built in early 16th century is the oldest residence of an official foreign mission in Moscow. Now it is a museum exhibiting books, documents and other items the English used in Shakespeare’s times. The court is in a walking distance from the Red Square.
4a Varvaka Street. Metro Kitay-Gorod (line 6, orange, or line 7, purple.)
The neoclassical mansion on the hill opposite the eastern wall of the Kremlin is Pashkov House named after the first owner Pyotr Pashkov. It was erected in the middle of the 18th century. The building was a town manor and a museum. Now it belongs to the Russian State Library.
3/5 Vozdvizhenka Street. Metro Alexandrovsky Sad (line 4, light blue, Biblioteka Imeni Lenina (line 1, red) or Borovitskaya (line 9, grey.)